Dental Implants in Decatur, IL
Natural-Looking, Fully Functional Tooth Restoration
With high success rates, oral health benefits, and beautiful results, dental implants are a popular solution for tooth replacement at our office in Decatur, IL. Dental implants offer patients with damaged or missing teeth a natural-looking way to restore their smile and oral function. Dental implants are the only tooth replacement solution that prevents the bone atrophy that can result over time from tooth loss.
Our oral and maxillofacial surgeons at Oral & Facial Surgeons of Illinois specialize in implant dentistry and restoring teeth. Contact our office in Decatur, IL, to schedule an appointment and explore your tooth restoration options.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a three-part tooth restoration option:
- The titanium post (or screw) is the base that will replace your tooth root. It integrates with the bone in your jaw to become the stable support for the remaining two parts of the implant.
- The abutment is the second piece of the restoration. It is the connector between the titanium post and the prosthetic crown that will be designed to look and feel like a natural, healthy tooth.
- The final piece is the prosthetic crown. It is attached to the post via the abutment and is designed to look and function just like a natural tooth.
With proper care, the result of your restoration will be new, fully functional replacement teeth that can last a lifetime.
Benefits of Dental Implants
There are many reasons why so many of our patients choose dental implants over other tooth replacement options offered at Oral & Facial Surgeons of Illinois. Because they restore the tooth root, they are the only solution that addresses the jaw bone atrophy commonly seen with tooth loss, benefiting your oral health. Advantages seen with implant restoration include:
- Easy to maintain good oral hygiene
- Lifelong stability
- Jaw bone preservation
- Increased confidence
- Improved oral function
- Can be used to replace one or a full arch of teeth
- Patients with early stages of gum disease can still qualify
With dental implants, the fusion of the implant post/screw with the jaw creates a stable foundation that keeps the jaw bone healthy and allows for normal oral function, including eating all the foods you love. We encourage you to contact our office in Decatur, IL, to hear more about the benefits and details of this innovative and versatile treatment.
Types of Dental Implants
At Oral & Facial Surgeons of Illinois, we offer many types of dental implants. This allows more patients to qualify for implant-based treatments and receive the individualized care necessary to meet your smile goals. The right type of implant will depend on how many teeth you are looking to restore, the health of your teeth and gums, if bone loss has occurred, and your financial needs. The types of implants we offer include:
- Single Tooth Replacement. Many people turn to dental implants to replace a single missing tooth. An implant can replace any tooth at any place in the dental arch, including front teeth, canine teeth, and molars.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement. You can receive as many implants as you need throughout the mouth. If several teeth next to each other need to be replaced, an implant-supported bridge can be placed. This type of bridge does not rely on existing teeth to support it, like traditional bridges.
- Same-Day Dental Implants. After a tooth is extracted, and if there is enough healthy jaw bone, we can place a dental implant at the same visit. This saves you time and money, prevents the need for another surgical appointment, and you don’t have to go without a tooth.
- Full-Arch Restoration. Ideal for patients missing most or all of their teeth, this treatment involves attaching a fixed denture to several implant posts. The results are a stable, fully functioning smile that looks and feels like a healthy arch of adult teeth. Full-arch restoration is a long-term alternative to removable dentures.
Most commonly, implants replace individual teeth, but they can also be used to support a bridge or a full-arch replacement. When you have a consultation with your oral surgeon at our Decatur, IL office, we will review your health history and take 3D scans of your teeth. This appointment is an excellent opportunity to discuss your goals for treatment, ask any questions you have, and choose your preferred form of anesthesia or sedation. You will leave your consultation with complete instructions for your pre- and post-operative care.
Once you feel confident about your procedure and what to expect and have reviewed your instructions, we can schedule your surgical appointment. Please feel free to contact our office should any questions arise between your consultation and your procedure.
On the day of your surgery, our team will bring you to the procedure room where the chosen anesthesia will be administered. Once it has taken effect, your oral surgeon will begin the procedure. After making a small incision in the gums, the titanium post/screw will be inserted into the empty tooth socket. After your gums are sutured, you will rest comfortably until the sedation wears off. A responsible adult will drive you home to recover. In some instances, your oral surgeon may attach the abutment to the screw in the same procedure. Most often, the abutment will be placed after the screw has fused with the bone under your gums.
The healing process generally lasts several months. Once the implants have healed, a restorative dentist will place the final crown and complete your dental implant treatment.
Denture Replacement With Dental Implants
Dentures are a great tooth replacement option for some patients, but others find them uncomfortable and seek a more long-term solution. Many denture patients turn to dental implants, which eliminate the need for removable appliances and special care routines. While dentures only rest on the bony ridge and do not prevent jaw bone loss, implants fuse to the jaw bone and keep it healthy.
A full denture can be replaced through full-arch restoration, which involves using several dental implants to support a fixed denture in one or both arches. With this stability, you can enjoy your favorite foods without worrying about discomfort, and you no longer have to remove a denture when eating or brushing. Learn more about denture replacement in Decatur, IL, by contacting our office today for a consultation.
Hear From Dental Implant Patients
These patients can tell you about the firsthand experience undergoing dental implant treatment at our office.
Cost of Dental Implants in Decatur, IL
When you visit Oral & Facial Surgeons of Illinois for a consultation, your oral surgeon will discuss your goals and create a treatment plan to achieve them. The cost of dental implants depends on how many implants you need, your dental insurance, the type of anesthesia you select, and if additional procedures are necessary, like bone grafting or extractions. To find out how much it would cost to receive dental implants in Decatur, Illinois, contact our office to schedule an appointment with our dental specialists.
Dental Implants in Decatur, IL
If you have missing teeth, damaged teeth, or seek a long-term replacement for dentures, we encourage you to contact Oral & Facial Surgeons of Illinois. Our surgeons offer a variety of oral and maxillofacial surgery procedures to help you achieve better oral health and a happier smile. Contact our office in Decatur, Illinois, to schedule a consultation.